Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Well, hello there!

Oooooh. It's all coming together.

I'll be teaching a self-defense seminar at Kyle United Methodist Church (where you can find me most Sundays) on August 10th!  I'm thrilled that this is finally coming to fruition. I'm already working on putting together the curriculum, as well as some handy hand-outs and (of course) waiver forms.

You guys, this is a really big deal for me. I've taken quite a few self-defense seminars in my day. They've run the gamut from "here's how to slap someone with your purse and blow a whistle" to "here's how you disarm someone who has a knife to your neck." Heck, I've learned techniques on disarming someone with a gun to my back. I love those kinds of seminars--they are great fun. There are few things in this world I enjoy more than throwing people twice my size around (white chocolate macadamia nut cookies... maybe).

But what I've noticed more and more amongst my peers (and my peers' kids) is that people who have not attended a seminar or ever got in a fight at all, can't do things I consider fundamental like:
  • throw a punch without breaking their hand
  • kick without breaking their toes
  • know where to hit someone so they can run away
  • know how to get their wrist out of someone's grip
I don't think everyone should know how to toss some scumbag (who thinks you need an up-close and personal throat hug) across the room--I think they should know how to punch said scumbag before they get that close. Or where to kick them so they can't follow you. Groin kicks are great, don't get me wrong, but they don't always work. So I want to make sure that as many people as possible have some basic skills to get out of dangerous situations. 

I'll keep you updated as I get closer to the date.... this is going to be awesome!



PS. If you don't believe me about how awesome a groin shot can be... you should watch this:

No comments:

Post a Comment